December 21, 2010

A tribute to Carolyn

Cheryl and I love to eat out and we definitely have our favorites like Jongewaard's Bake 'N Broil in Long Beach (which I have mentioned here several times).

Another place that we have frequented from time to time over the years is Gourmet Pie and Cafe. It's located in Los Alamitos on Katella Avenue. When I first found this little restaurant it was located in Cypress near the place where I used to live (before Cheryl). Cheryl and I have been going to this restaurant for more than fourteen years; in fact, we went there on our first date. I've been going there for about 18 years myself.

Sunday we learned that Carolyn Richards passed away suddenly and unexpectedly at the young age of 42. The news was shocking. Carolyn and her husband Michael own Gourmet Pie and like all the posts on this blog, there is a baseball connection here.

Gourmet Pie is one of those places we go to now and then when the Angels are on the road. It's a nice place to get a meal and still catch a game on TV. Angel fans frequent the place all the time.

The news is incredibly sad. Carolyn leaves behind two sons and a family and community that will miss her greatly. We have a nice memory of Carolyn; she once gave Cheryl and me a menu to keep (from the original location) after she learned that we had our first date at her restaurant.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Richards family. It certainly puts all this baseball stuff in perspective, doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my ... that is awful. I enjoy Gourmet Pie and am sorry to learn of the family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 14, 2011

    I am so sorry to hear this.. such a sad and terrible thing to happen to such a young woman. Does anyone know if she was ill?

    ReplyDelete