May 5, 2010

Bring me the head of John Lackey

Tonight’s contest against the Red Sox may not be the most important game of the year and in the grand scheme of things it’s not a make or break deal either; but make no mistake about it, it’s The Biggest game of the year (to date) for me.

I’ve been waiting for this day for a while now.

The Angels face off against John Lackey and I can’t wait. I want his head on a platter (figuratively of course). I want him to feel the fury of an offense that’s hitting him like he’s putting it on a tee for them. I want balls flying over the Green Monster and players racking up extra base hits by the truck load. I want to see Lackey doing some big time rubber necking as balls fly to all the places where Red Sox aren’t.

For some of us fans this game is personal. We feel like Lackey gave us the finger and we don’t like it much.

I’ve tried to let it go, but every so often I read another new quote or see another little interview with Lackey that raises my ire. The latest came from Mark Saxson of ESPN Los Angeles. Saxson quotes Lackey… "It's different. The way they preach the team game and giving it up for the team. That's a little suspect," Lackey said. "You're supposed to give it up for the team. When the time comes, they might not want to give it up for you."

I get it. The Angels didn’t offer Lackey the contract he thought he deserved and he went to the highest bidder. Even though I was upset I might have gotten over it in time, but it seems like every time I turn around Lackey is shooting his mouth off with little back handed and even some not-so-back-handed slaps at the Angels and/or their fans.

Whatever. Just pound him today. I like Mike Napoli’s attitude. Napoli said “We're not friends now," Napoli said. "He's on the other side. I'm going to try to get him."

Here’s the deal. I don’t want to see Lackey smiling when it’s done. I want his head to be in his hands as he looks at the ground dejected and beaten. Yeah, that’s right. It will make moving on a little easier.

Speaking of moving on… isn’t it time Seattle moved on without Milton Bradley?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Milton Bradley doesn’t deserve to wear a baseball uniform. Mike Salk from ESPN Radio in Seattle reported that Bradley left the team in the middle of the game last night.

More from Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times: here

What can I say that hasn’t been said before? Is it time to quit on Bradley and let him find another line of work?

BallHype: hype it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment