June 21, 2010

A gift for Charles

Jered Weaver and the Angels don’t know this, but they gave Charles a great farewell gift on Saturday. While Weaver and the Angels were busy shutting out the Chicago Cubs in Wrigley Field (12-0), Cheryl and I along with family and friends were laying Cheryl’s dad (Charles) to rest.

You see Charles didn’t really like close ball games; he’d prefer to see his Angels win going away. The 12-0 win was absolutely perfect and the kind of game he'd appreciate.

I have this vision of Charles relaxing while watching the game, knowing the Angels bull pen couldn’t even blow this one. It was the most fitting send off the Angels could have given Charles. It makes me smile when I think about it.

And so it begins.

It’s time to get back into the routine of writing for this blog. Charles would appreciate that because he himself was a man of routine. Routine and regimen was a huge part of his life and defined him in many ways. Oh the stories I could tell…

Now, I’ll never live up to Charles’ standard for such things, but I hope to continue contributing to this blog on a more regular basis going forward. It’s been an incredibly tough and emotional few weeks and it will be nice to try and get back to watching Angels baseball and writing once again.

I wonder if I’ll recognize the team? I mean a lineup with Brandon Wood at shortstop, Kevin Frandsen at third base and Mike Napoli at first base is kind of strange. What’s even stranger is that this group has been winning without Erick Aybar, Maicer Izturis and Kendry Morales.

Go figure... Go Halos!

So, we get the Dodgers and Rockies this week and the Rangers and Royals next. It seems like forever since Cheryl and I have been to a ball game and I imagine it will be a little strange when we finally get back to the ball park. I hope the rest of the season proves to be memorable and one we will wish we could have shared with our dads. Then again, in some way we will be sharing it with them – even though they’re not here.

Let’s get after it. There’s a lot of baseball still to be played (90 games for the Angels) and I’m sure I’ll have plenty to say about it all as the season continues to unfold. As always thank you for reading and while I’m at it – thank you for the countless well wishes and prayers over the past few weeks and beyond. I can’t tell you enough how much it was all so appreciated.

In closing, I leave you with this song... it's a personal favorite of Cheryl's and one that will always make her think of her dad.





Go Angels!



BallHype: hype it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment