May 10, 2016

Show Me Something

There’s a bad news epidemic that’s rolling through the Angels and it isn’t taking any prisoners.  It’s kicking the team’s butt and barreling through it like a tidal wave and that’s not to be confused with a title wave.

Every time I check MLB Trade Rumors, tune into MLB network or just open my eyes – I see one awful report after another.  Good grief, somebody please make it stop.

I guess this is what happens when you don’t show any empathy for other teams who go through seasons with devastating injuries to their team.  I guess this is just the way the ball bounces – like an inning ending double play.  Boom.  Just like that.

It’s only May 10 and I’m not prepared to give up on a season.  The idea of a long, losing season just makes me want to… well, it make me want to puke.  I don’t know if I can stomach it. 

I guess there’s two ways the team can respond.  They can either roll-over and play the “Woe is me” card or they can look each other in the eye and say, “Let’s win this thing anyway.”

I really don’t know what they will do or what they’re capable of doing.  Certainly, things don’t look very good on paper, but we all know that games aren’t won on paper. Time will tell what this team is made of and if they can overcome and become something special. 

This is what I do know…  It’s time for Albert Pujols to step up.  In fact, it’s past time.  I don’t know if Father Time has finally caught up with him or if he’s just on cruise control as he coasts towards Coopers Town – but I’ve been more than patient waiting for some semblance of greatness to show up on a consistent basis. 

There was a time when any team that Albert Pujols in its lineup had a chance.  There was a time when Albert wanted to prove to the world that he was in fact the best hitter in baseball.  He had a chip on his shoulder.  He played with an edge and a fierceness that was awesome to watch.

I don’t know if he still has any of that.  I just don’t.  I don’t know the man personally.  I’d like to believe he still has a fire in his belly, but I’d like to believe a lot of things…

Losing isn’t fun.  Watching a team not compete is just plain painful.  I don’t want or need that kind of aggravation.

I’ll be going to the games against the Cardinals and I’ll be watching to see what kind of effort they put forth.  If I don’t see guys battling like they’d rather die than make an out, let alone lose a game – I won’t be happy.  I want to see a team that is out to prove the doubters wrong and to show the rest of baseball that they’re not done.

The great Jim Valvano once gave a great speech about how ordinary people do extra-ordinary things every day.  Well?  It all starts tonight and I’ll be watching.  

No comments:

Post a Comment