November 15, 2009

I like it

"I don't care if the Yankees go out and spend $350 million next year, we're going to beat them because we have the team," Scioscia said. This was Mike Scioscia as reported in the O.C. Register. Scioscia was at a fundraiser with about 300 people in attendance for KidWorks on November 12 when he made the comment.

That last time I heard Scioscia speak with such bravado is when the Angels were down 2-0 in the 2008 ALDS to Boston. He basically guaranteed that the Angels would not lose game 3 and they didn't.

Will it back fire? Jimmy Rollins wasn't too successful in his post season predictions this year and any time you hear someone making statements like this, you have to think of Pat Riley's guarantee of back to back wins for the Lakers back in the 80's (which worked out quite well).

Does Scioscia know something we don't know? Probably. Or maybe he's got a fire in his belly. Either way, I like it.

Personally, I think it's great when the skipper puts something like this out there. In some ways it takes the pressure off his players and puts it squarely on his own shoulders. I have a feeling the Angels failure to get back to the World Series for the seventh straight year is not sitting well with Scioscia. I am betting he can't wait to get to Spring Training to start the next campaign. I can't wait either.

No comments:

Post a Comment