April 26, 2011

You should have been there

If you are a baseball fan you owe it to yourself to see what very well could be a historic season in the making for Jered Weaver. I know he’s only pitched six games and there are tons of games yet to be played; however, what Weaver has done in those six games is nothing short of extraordinary. I’m talking about seeing someone who is having an absolutely incredible season thus far.

There aren’t enough superlatives to describe what’s taking place right before our very eyes. Most superlatives are overused; but in this case, every one of them is justified.

It doesn’t matter if you believe he can maintain what he’s done so far. Think about the “what if’s…”

This could be one of those seasons that people will remember for years to come and you can’t afford to miss the chance to say, “I saw Jered Weaver in 2011.” Think about it.

He’s currently 6-0 with a 0.99 ERA. He leads the league in wins, ERA, strike outs (49), complete games (2), and innings pitched (45 2/3). He has dominated the league thus far. Stuff like this doesn’t happen every day. It may be a once in a lifetime occurrence. Again, just think about it!

Yes, I’m fully aware that it has only been six games; however, I implore you to take any opportunity you have to see him pitch this year because it just might be the performance of a lifetime; I’m talking about one for the ages.

Yes, I’m excited. Yes, I’m even fanatical and you should be too.

There was a time when Nolan Ryan would fill a stadium every time he pitched. That’s what should be happening with Weaver right now. The fact that there were only 37,115 in attendance last night in Anaheim is an embarrassment, in my opinion.

You should have been there.

It doesn’t matter that it was a Monday night. It doesn’t matter that they were playing the Oakland A’s. If you want to see what has a chance to be one of the greatest seasons a pitcher has ever had – you need to find a way to make it to the stadium when Weaver is on the mound.

I'm sure anyone who was at the stadium last night, was glad they were; unless they're an A's fan of course, but then they have bigger problems. Just saying.

Ride this wave folks. This is your chance. Forget what I said earlier and don’t just" think about it;" JUST DO IT.

History doesn’t take place at your convenience. The incredible isn’t something you can schedule, but you can plan to see what is possible and it’s possible that Weaver will have (at a minimum) one of the greatest seasons for an Angels' pitcher ever. It could happen and don't you want to experience that?

If you have a child or know a child – you owe it to them to see Weaver and explain the significance of it all.

More than anything, you owe it to Jered Weaver. This man has become the leader of this team and he deserves to pitch before a packed house every time he starts a game; especially in Anaheim.

Do you hear me?

If you only get to one game the whole season – make sure it’s his game. Don’t come alone. Bring your friends, your family, your neighbor, your mailman, your dentist, your gardener, or anyone that has a pulse.

Am I over-reacting? You bet I am. I’m beyond excited because this is absolutely without question a ton of fun. Watching Jered Weaver pitch is about as much fun as you can have at a baseball game. It doesn’t matter if you’re an Angels fan or not – if you are a baseball fan, you need to see Weaver pitch this year.

I will now climb down from my soap box and let you get back to your mundane, routine and boring life (just kidding). Let me put it to you this way - I bet that I had more fun than most of you did last night. You should have been there. Don’t let the chance pass you by again.

Photo Above is from Opening Day in Kansas City.

4 comments:

  1. Good post. I was thinking this while at last night's game: If Jered were Pedro Martinez (and he's been pitching like Pedro), it would be "An Event" each time he pitched. That certainly was the case when Jered pitching on Friday nights at CSULB.

    Maybe soon ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LBprGuy - You are spot on. "Friday Night Lights was a huge event back in the day! I missed those times, but I'm not missing these. Fans that stay home are missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there and it was every bit as fantastic as you say! Weaver is truly amazing this season – not that he was any slouch last season – and I intend to plan a lot of my other games around the starting rotation to catch him a few more times. Hearing him in the post game interview talk about how much the fans cheering his name meant to him was touching and should make every Angels fan want to get out there and cheer that much harder.

    -Kristen
    http://blithescribe.mlblogs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 13, 2011

    I am going to see Weaver pitch tonight in Texas!

    ReplyDelete