April 10, 2013

Opening Nightmare


Maybe it’s just me, but last night felt like 2012 all over again.  Am I over-reacting?  Perhaps, but the feeling I had in my gut was all too familiar.  It was a combination of angst, frustration, nervousness and a sick feeling that this is going to be the norm.  Sure, it’s a knee jerk reaction – but it feels very real.

Mark Lowe and Kevin Jepsen have already given me reasons for concern about the bull-pen and that’s something I was hoping wouldn’t be an issue in 2013.  The melt downs haven’t been small, they’ve been grand.  Nothing is more demoralizing than watching a reliever give up a huge homerun.  It’s deflating and painful to watch.

I keep trying to focus on happier times ahead… times when Josh Hamilton goes yard and Ryan Madsen is shutting the door on a game, but it’s hard to imagine those scenarios when your team is getting their teeth kicked in.  It’s like trying to find a “happy place” in the midst of chaos.

Enough already.  I’m ready for some winning.

And I’m going to say something that’s been on my mind since the day the Angels signed C.J. Wilson.  It’s hard for me to warm up to the thought of C.J. Wilson in an Angels' uniform.  I didn’t like him much when he was a Ranger and quite frankly, he makes me nervous.  This is a guy with a wide range of interests (just check out his web site) and you’ll see what I mean.  I’m not certain baseball is his highest priority. 

Wilson is a fascinating person, but I’m just not sure he’s ever going to be a "great" baseball player.  I imagine he could be successful at any number of things – but I have to wonder what he would be like if he really focused and dedicated himself to one specific thing, oh like... I don't know... baseball?  Again, he just makes me nervous and I get the impression he might over think things out there.  It’s just my own speculation, so take it with a grain of salt.

On the bright side – I’m really enjoying the play of Peter Bourjos.  I’m certain he’s going to be a really good player and a huge contributor to the team.  Again, you can mark my words on this one.  Giving him the every day job in CF was just the right thing to do.

Comments on Opening Night:

Logistically… Parking was a nightmare.  Cheryl and I didn’t get to the game as early as we had hoped and the external lots were a mess.  They were full and we didn’t know this until it was too late.  Traffic patterns made it extra tough around these venues.

We got to the game in time for the first pitch, but nothing else.  That was unfortunate.  The Stadium itself wasn’t much help.  Two escalators were out of commission – one on each side of the stadium.  Really?  You can’t have these things operational for Opening night?  I’ve come to expect such things…

At the end of the night I tried to get some pocket schedules and the kiosks and team store were out of them.  Again… really? 

On the positive side – I loved the way the fans welcomed Josh Hamilton to Anaheim.  Angel fans were awesome that way last night. I’m guessing he appreciated it too; especially after the reception he received on his return to Arlington. 

The best thing about last night is that it’s over and there’s another game to play tonight.  Come to think of it, there are 155 more to play!  Time to get after it!

No comments:

Post a Comment