April 9, 2013

Unacceptable


If you’re like me, you’re probably very happy that Opening night has finally arrived in Anaheim; however, you’re probably not pleased that the Angels start their first home stand with a 2-4 record.  Face it, we didn’t endure a very long off season to see the team get off to a bad start and quite frankly – it’s unacceptable.  So are the 36 strikeouts by Angel batters in the first three games.  And the six errors in the same series? C’mon; that’s not Angels’ baseball.

And then there’s the trip to Texas.  I’m sorry – but I really wanted Josh Hamilton to respond to the Ranger fans with some thunder from his bat.  I wanted him to go yard and trot around the bases while Ranger fans looked on and realized he was gone for good and how much they were going to miss him.  Instead – he gave Ranger fans what they wanted and that irked me to no end.

By the way Ranger fans - you can chant "Baseball town" all you want - it doesn't change the reality.  You're a football town and you always will be.  So don't get upset with Hamilton telling the truth.  What's the big deal.  Everyone knows the truth.  Embrace it and move on.

Sunday night was especially painful.  Yu Darvish wasn’t himself.  And we’re talking about a guy who may very well give Justin Verlander a run for his money when it comes to the Cy Young award.  A golden opportunity was wasted that night.

And for goodness sakes – if you’re going to give up a 3-run homerun to someone – for the love of baseball – don’t let it be Ian Kinsler (Or AJ Pierzynski for that matter).  Kinsler rounding the bases and pumping his fist was hard to watch.  It was painful and yet I can’t get that stinkin’ image out of my head.

I know it’s early… but we said that last year when the team got off to a horrendous start.  I don’t want to watch history repeat itself.

I don’t want this team to just show up and expect to win.  We’ve seen that before and it doesn’t work.  I want my team to play with a chip on its shoulder.  I want players that have a hunger in their gut to prove people wrong and have an “us against the world” mentality.

My expectations are high.  I want the Angels to kick butt and take names.  I want some intensity and not silly grins and giggling in the dugout. 

It’s Opening Night and I’m ready for some baseball.  I’m ready for some old’ fashioned Mike Scioscia baseball where the offense constantly puts pressure on the defense and runs come in waves.  I want at least two out of three against the stinkin’ A’s and a sweep of the Astros.

My expectations are high.  I won’t settle for mediocrity.  That’s unacceptable.  I’m fired up and I can’t wait for the game.  It’s go time people.  Let’s do this.  

1 comment:

  1. You realize the boos for Hamilton are not about his "football town" comments, right? The boos are for his excuses, lack of effort, and general bs. His "football town" deal is just low hanging fruit.

    The boos are for him quitting on the team. The boos are for his tobacco excuses to explain an epic slump. The boos are for his "my blue eyes can't play day games" excuse. The boos are for his wild swings at offspeed pitches in the dirt. The boos are for dropping easy fly balls and not concentrating. The boos are for 0-4 on 8 total pitches in the wildcard. The boos are for his constant references to Jesus (including comparing his own situation to JC). The boos are for his wife dumping on the organization at the press conference. The boos are for him having substance abuse relapses and the Rangers and fans standing behind him while he lied to the front office about having a shot to match a free agent offer.

    Josh's football town comments are just the tip of the iceberg on the dumb things he has said, done, will say, and will do in the future. That's not a big deal. The boos are for the entire, incredibly talented but fatally flawed package that is Josh Hamilton.

    DFW is a football town. But it's a hell of a baseball town, too and the fans are smart enough to know the boos bother him.

    Anyway, I wish the guy the best in his personal life. I read your CJ comments, too. I agree 100%. I'm afraid you will find Josh just as hard to like.

    Best of luck to the Angels! (except when they play Texas)

    I enjoy your writing, take care!

    ReplyDelete