April 7, 2010

There goes the perfect season

This just in. The Angels are not going to go undefeated this year and if that catches you by surprise, you’re not alone. I was quite certain this team wouldn’t lose a game all year long. I mean, how could they? With that lineup, rotation and bull pen? Come on. It just didn’t seem possible.

And to think that Joe Saunders could actually lose a game in April (something he’d only done once before) seemed out of the question. How did this happen? I want some answers and I want them now!

Look, I’m just kidding about the 162-0 deal. I actually think the Angels will only win about 150 games (give or take). I also thought that Jered Weaver would either throw a perfect game or just a no-hitter in the opener and that Brandon Wood would either hit for the cycle or smash four homers.

Before you try to strap me into a straight jacket; read on….

My point is that this is the month for supreme optimism. Then again, there are fans out there who take the opposite track and are ready to dismiss the season after one at bat or one play, let alone a game or two. Our opinions are likely to have wide swings both ways.

It’s like the 2008 season when Jon Garland pitched for the Angels and made his debut in Minnesota. He won that game going eight strong innings, while only giving up six hits and one run for a 9-1 victory. Some fans were ready to ink him to a five year deal right then and there.

The next game he gets hammered for seven runs in a 10-4 loss to Texas. Those same fans were ready to DFA (designate him for assignment) him. We’re a fickle bunch, aren’t we?

So, here’s the thing about last night. I believed the Angels would come back. I really did. I thought Hideki Matsui would tie the game in the bottom of the 7th win a big fly after Torii Hunter had doubled. I thought the Angels would find a way to win. After all, Terry Smith (Angel’s radio broadcaster) kept telling us how badly Nick Blackburn has pitched against the Angels in his career. I know, I know – that was the kiss of death.

Speaking of which… why does that always happen? You know when a broadcaster makes one of those absolute statements that end up jinxing a player? Take opening night for example; I kept hearing over and over again how Bobby Abreu had at least one base hit in every opening day of his career. As soon as I heard it, I knew he’d go hitless and he did. When I kept hearing about Blackburn’s history against the Angels, I got that bad feeling again and just like clock work, Blackburn delivered a win for the Twins.

Now, I’m not a superstitious guy at all. I find them pretty silly and yet, time after time – someone makes a statement about how good or bad someone is and the next thing you know, that which is never supposed to happen, happens or that which is always supposed to happen doesn’t. It makes me crazy (which could explain my 162-0 prediction).

You would think by now that people would just stop pointing out these things. It’s like everyone assumed the Angels would lose to the Red Sox in last year’s ALDS because that’s what always happens. And then on the flip side, most Angel fans assumed the Angels would beat the Yankees in the ALCS because again, this is what always happens.

The world doesn’t work that way and quite frankly, that’s a good thing. Stuff happens and that’s why we play the games. Thankfully, the Angels have at least 160 more.

Here’s a blogging heads up for the regular readers. My goal is to post as often as I can during the week; this will often mean the day after; however, one of my goals is to also do a recap of the week on Sundays. That’s when I’m more likely to include any videos and photos from the week. It won’t be rehashing stuff I’ve already written; instead, I’ll be adding fresh content that will hopefully keep you coming back.

As always, thanks for reading.

BallHype: hype it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment