October 6, 2009

Embrace the Wonder Dog

Rex Hudler is one of us. When it’s time to line up and take sides, there’s no question where Rex stands. He’s an Angel through and through. He wears his 2002 World Series ring with pride and he should. He gives everything he has to the team, the fans and the organization. Rex is a team player. A throw-back. Like I said, he’s one of us.

For Rex, baseball is still just a game. He knows it was a privilege for him to have been a part of the game as a player for so many years. He acknowledges what a blessing it is for him to still be a part of it as a broadcaster. Kids love him. Mom’s love him. Grandmas especially love him and who better to judge the character of a man than grandma?

So why write about him now?

As I wait for the play-offs to begin, I start to think about why I love the game of baseball so much and all the things that make the game so enjoyable. One of those things is Rex.

If you’re looking for deep analysis about the upcoming series, you’ve come to the wrong place. There are countless others out there doing that and quite frankly they can do it better than me. I’m here today to write about the thoughts that run through my head as the Angels approach the play-offs. I recognize that I have no control over what happens on the field or the front office. I’m not here to second guess Mike Scioscia or Tony Reagins. Granted, there may be times when I don’t agree with them or I might be disappointed with the decisions they make, but that’s just part of being a fan.

And there’s never been a better time to be an Angels fan. When I think of what it means to be a fan, I think of Rex. I think about his unbridled enthusiasm. I think about his boundless energy and positive outlook. I think about his ability to unite a crowd for one common purpose and that’s to cheer on the Angels.

It doesn’t hurt that Rex tried to pattern his game after Bobby Grich either. How can I not love the Hud Man?

So, if you haven’t done so yet – I encourage you to embrace the one they call the Wonder Dog. It will make your journey through this baseball season and beyond, all the more enjoyable. Baseball is supposed to be fun and nobody knows that better than Rex.

No comments:

Post a Comment