October 7, 2009

Fan Strong

Angel fans are on edge (myself included). We’re like volcanoes ready to erupt. The tension that comes with play-off baseball combined with the excitement of what’s ahead makes for a highly volatile situation.

This isn’t going to be just another play-off series. We are all sick and tired of losing to the Red Sox. We can’t take it any more. No, really – I’m serious; we can’t take it any more!

So, how will all of this translate to the fans in the stands? Will we sit on our hands and wait for things to happen; so tense we can barely move? Or… will we remember how loud it was in 2002 and bring back the energy and spirit of that time? Those thunder sticks were like war drums beating throughout the game. The pounding was relentless. It was deafening. My ears kept ringing for days. It was awesome.

Angel fans -- we need to unite. We need to come together to be one loud voice and drown out any Red Sox fans that might be in our house. That’s right – our house. I want Red Sox fans to feel uncomfortable at the Big A. I want them looking over their shoulders. Let them squirm in their seats a bit. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want anything bad to happen to them -- other than seeing them leave the stadium at the end of each game with their heads hung low and eyes staring at the ground. I guess a few tears wouldn’t be bad either. Okay, sobbing Sox fans would be fine with me.

1986, 2004, 2007 and 2008 were nightmares. I don’t ever want to experience that again. Never, ever again.

I have a great feeling about this team. It reminds me of 2002 in so many ways. They’re never really out of a game. The forty-plus come-from-behind victories are proof of that.

This team has a swagger. They’ve got that look. More importantly, they’ve shown tremendous resolve. Don’t you dare underestimate this team.

If that’s not enough to convince you, I’m sorry. I won’t be providing any sabermetrics for you, but I can provide you with something that should give you all the confidence you need. The Angels closer in 2002 was Troy Percival. His birthday is August 9. The closer for this year’s team is Brian Fuentes. Fuentes also celebrates his birthday on August 9. Bingo. We just found the key to a championship – have a closer whose name is 12 letters long and make sure he was born on August 9. Folks, this is the kind of hard hitting baseball analysis you won’t find any where else.

Seriously… the team is ready to step up. We fans need to do the same. You’ve seen the ads – the Angels are “Fan Strong.” Time to live up to that slogan, Angel fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment