October 19, 2009

Thank you. May I have another?

Baseball is a beautiful game. Where else can someone who has the lowest batting average among players with 100 or more at bats become the hero?

Jeff “English isn’t my favorite subject, but” Math-is was the newest character introduced into the script that is the 2009 ALCS. On this day, the 19th day of October in the year 2009 Jeff Mathis stepped up and proved once again that in baseball – anything is possible. Is this a great game or what?

There were lots of keys to this game that will never show up in a box score. You won’t hear them discussed on ESPN or on Fox Sports. You won’t read about them in the Orange County Register or the New York Post either. Perhaps these are just exaggerations or even coincidence, but consider these elements as possible factors for why the Angels won tonight.

First of all, there was the fly over. A C-17 literally came out of right field as it passed over Angels stadium. An omen that tonight’s hero would also come out of right field, not the position mind you, but in the way of expectations.



Second – how could an Angels squad possibly lose after seeing Rod Carew and Bobby Grich team up for the honorary first pitch of the ball game?



Third, there is the 2-2-2 – something some of us learned from 514 Fanatics Nick and Patty Saturday night. When an Angel batter is up and has two strikes, two balls and two outs on them – you take your rally cap off and shake it in front of you. Well, when Vlad came up with the Angels trailing and one man on, with two outs, two balls and two strikes we shook our caps and Vlad homered. Coincidence or a new secret weapon? You decide.

Last, but not least… there were some anxious people in the stands prior to and during the game… Cheryl’s solution? Philippians 4, verses 6 & 7… Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. She kept praying and good things happened.

Am I crazy? You bet I am. I have been consumed by the excitement that is play-off baseball. I’m all in. I’m ready for the roller coaster ride and I’m willing to risk it all… I believe the Angels are on a mission and I’m willing to risk disappointment in exchange for the hope we’ll experience the pure joy that comes from winning.

1 comment:

  1. Your enthusiasm is infectious. I was amazed to see the crowd in the stadium intact when Metrolink pulled into the Anaheim station after 5pm. I knew something crazy was going on but I refused to turn on the radio and was able to TiVo the last few innings so I could see the wild win for myself. Go Angels! Gotta do it again today.

    ReplyDelete