October 16, 2009

Joe gets the call

John Lackey deserved better. He pitched well, but his team didn’t show up. That wasn’t the Angels team I’ve been watching all season long. I don’t know what happened. All I know is that I’m glad that one is out of the way.

Time to do what the Angels do so well… and that's to simply turn the page. No pointing fingers. No could a, would a, should a… This one is done. Time to move on.

When the Angels were down in Boston during game 3 of the ALDS, I felt calm. I never felt like the team was out of it. Tonight, I felt uneasy and never could get comfortable. Now that it’s over. I feel calm again. I really do.

I’m confident the Angels are going to win tomorrow. There, I said it. I put it out there. I honestly believe the Angels are going to take game 2. That faith has a lot to do with who will be starting tomorrow’s game.

I’m stoked Joe Saunders will make the start in game 2 of the ALCS. In case you’re wondering why I am so excited, you can read a previous post of mine where I documented the little bit of history Cheryl and I have with Joe.

I have a tremendous amount of confidence in Saundo (as dubbed by Rex Hudler). I believe Joe embodies the spirit of what it means to be an Angels baseball player. He mirrors the steady nature of his manager, Mike Scioscia. He’s not flashy; he just gets the job done. Guys like Joe don’t get a lot of attention, but his winning generates headlines for his team.

And winning is what he has done since he came off the disabled list. He’s 7-0 since his return. Winning is what he always does. In 2008 he led the team in ERA and wins. This year Joe tied Jered Weaver for the team lead in wins with 16 despite spending a few weeks on the disabled list.

Not that any of that matters. It’s all more of a foot note, really.

I guess sometimes we find comfort in past history and there is a lot of that we can call on, but from my point of view it’s just a gut thing. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking… is that all you have?

It isn’t about statistics or match ups, or the weather or anything else. It’s all about this team’s resolve and their ability to come through when others might think they’re about to fold. Adversity has made this team strong and I’m sure that will be evident tomorrow night. I can feel it. And again, Joe Saunders will be on the mound. Man, I like the sound of that.

So buckle up folks. This ALCS is about to get interesting and a whole lot more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment