October 3, 2009

Remembering Bruce

When I started this blog I knew at some point in time, I would be writing about the passing of a fellow Angels fan. I wasn’t quite sure when to do it, but as the regular season comes to a close, this feels like the appropriate time.

In a season full of both joy and sorrow, the 514 Fanatics lost one of their own. On August 19, 2009 our friend Bruce Manning passed away from a sudden and unexpected heart attack at the age of 55.

I only had the pleasure (and it was truly a pleasure) of knowing Bruce for a couple years. I am sorry I didn’t know him longer. Bruce always greeted Cheryl and me with a smile. He always had a great story or funny joke to share and made everyone around him feel comfortable. You couldn’t help but be in a good mood when Bruce was around.

I enjoyed every moment I ever spent with him. It was obvious Bruce was a devoted father to his four daughters and a loving husband to his wife, Roberta. He was a dedicated volunteer to the Hillel Foundation of Irvine, an avid poker player and he loved baseball. He looked good in red too. A converted Yankee fan, Bruce clearly enjoyed his time at the ball park. He often brought friends and/or family to the game.

Sometimes it’s the little things you remember about people. Bruce grew his own grapes and he often brought them to the game to share. They were delicious too. I remember Cheryl and I looking at each other with that “oh my goodness these are awesome” look on our faces the first time we had some.

I can’t help but think about the care he must have given those grapes to make them grow into delicious little pieces of heaven. I also can’t help but think about the relationships Bruce must have also grown over the years. I’m sure all who knew him were better for the experience.

We’ll miss you Bruce and as the Angels march forward with their #34 patches on their uniforms, the good fans in 514 will also march forward with your memory in our hearts.





No comments:

Post a Comment